Entry clearance visa


The immigration system in the UK is complex and constantly changing, so applying for a visa to come to the UK can be confusing and stressful.

You will need to give yourself plenty of time to gather all the right documents you need in order to complete all the forms and make an application.


Tier 4 (General) student visa

If your course lasts more than six months then you will probably need to apply for a student visa under the Tier 4 (General) category of the points-based system.

You will be given leave to remain in the UK to complete your studies and receive your results. You must have an unconditional offer on a full-time course in order to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

For more detailed information please see our How to Guide Tier 4 Visa Guide and FAQs (Entry Clearance) or contact the immigration and International Student Advice Team.

Credibility interviews

If you are applying for a Tier 4 visa you may now be asked to have an interview with the Home Office to assess whether you are a 'genuine student' and whether your English language ability meets the required standard. The Home Office intends to interview most students applying for a Tier 4 student visa for entry clearance applications overseas. Once you have applied for your Tier 4 visa, you may be sent an email asking you to attend an interview as part of the application process. Please check your email account regularly – if you do not attend your interview your application is likely to be automatically refused.

For more information about this, please refer to page 29-30 of the Tier 4 Visa Guide and FAQs (Entry Clearance)


Short-term student visa

If your course lasts six months or less then you will probably need to come to the UK as a 'short-term student'.  You must leave the UK on or before the date that your immigration permission ends and you are not eligible to make a further visa application in the UK to switch to another type of visa. You will also not be allowed to work or take a work placement during your studies.

If you are a visa national then you must apply for this visa before you come to the UK. For more information about this please visit the Home Office website.


For more detailed information please see our How to Guide Applying for a Short-term study visa you may have to provide extra documentation to support your application, please contact out Immigration and International Student Advice team for guidance about this application.


Further Information

Contact Info viewer


Related Links Viewer