Studying at the University may be the first time you have lived overseas or away from home, so the University aims to make your first few weeks as trouble-free as possible. At the International Student Welcome the Immigration and International Student Advice team will advise you on all the student services at the University and where you go for help.

On this page:

Language and learning support

We offer free courses and workshops throughout your time with us to help you develop the academic English and learning needs while at university . Please see our Skills for learning page for more information.

Where to go for help

Academic Advice: If you have any enquiry regarding your academic studies, please contact your Tutor/Course Director. For enquires about the administrative part of your course e.g. transcripts and course changes you should contact your Course Administrator 

International Student Advice team: have a dedicated advice team who can advise you on visa and immigration issues before you arrive in the UK and.  while you are studying here. You can also speak to them about general welfare issues, such as settling into life in the UK, as well as any personal problems you may be facing. They run one-to-one appointments  and provide advice via email and over the telephone.


Students registered for full-time courses in the UK of six months or more are eligible to receive full health care from the National Health Service (NHS) regardless of country of origin. You will have the same rights to health care as a UK resident. This means that you can register with a GP (local doctor), receive hospital treatment as an inpatient as well as an outpatient, receive treatment for pre-existing conditions and full maternity services. However, there is a charge for dental services and optical services are not available on the NHS so you will have to pay for them.

You may be eligible for help with the cost of prescriptions, dental and optical services on the basis of low income. For further information, please refer to the NHS website for information on NHS costs and exemptions.

Students studying at LSBU for less than six months will need to pay for all healthcare treatment. We strongly recommend taking out health insurance before coming to the UK.

European student should apply for the European Health Insurance Card EHIC prior to their arrival to the UK. Every EEA member provides information on how to apply for an EHIC card. However, if the UK leaves the EU  without a deal on January 31 2020 your access to healthcare is likely to change. 

*Important Meningitis Information*

The Department of Health has informed universities that there has been an increase in the number of students getting meningitis: they have issued advice to students, particularly to those coming to university for the first time.  The advice is for all new university entrants to be vaccinated with the Meningococcal ACWY (MenACWY) vaccine before the beginning of the new academic year.  The vaccine is available in the UK for first-time students up to the age of 25, including international students.  Even if you have already had the MenC vaccine, you should have the MenACWY vaccine.

We would advise you to get immunised before the start of your studies in your home country. Please ask your doctor / nurse for the MenACWY vaccine.

What happens if you’re not immunised before the start of university?

  • If you are entitled to free medical treatment on the NHS you may be eligible to receive the vaccinations. These are available from your local doctor – you should register with your local doctor as soon as possible. 
  • If you are not entitled to free NHS treatment, you can get vaccinations from a local travel clinic which you may need to pay for.

For more information, speak to your own nurse or doctor or visit or

Click here for a full list of signs and symptoms or download the Meningitis Now app for help and information.

Registering with the police

Some international students are required to register with the police.  If you are required to register with the police this will normally either be stated on your entry clearance visa (vignette), your BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) or may be confirmed on the Home Office decision letter.  You can also check the list of countries whose nationals need to register in Appendix 2 of the Immigration Rules.  You must register with them within seven days of receiving your BRP. 

For more information about how to register please see our How to Guide Registering with the police.

Living expenses

In addition to your tuition fees you will need to budget for living costs while studying in the UK. These costs will generally include your accommodation, food and drink, local travel, study materials and leisure activities.

Estimated living expenses for students*

Expense (weekly)

Living in University accommodation (weekly)

Living in private accommodation (weekly) 




Food/household shopping



Utility bills



Local travel



Study materials






Other expenses



Total weekly expenses



To help you budget for your studies in the UK you can also use the free online University Calculator.

*Please note that the above figures are estimates intended as a general guide for the cost of living. If you are applying for a student visa you will be required by the Home Office to demonstrate that you have a minimum amount available to cover the cost of maintenance.

Opening a bank account

Having an account here will save you money because you will not be charged additional fees to withdraw your own money from your account. In addition to this, you are required to open a UK bank account if you are planning to work in the UK. To open a bank account in the UK you will need to provide your chosen bank and branch with the following:

  • Proof of identity (e.g. passport and visa)
  • Bank details from your home country account (if applicable) to provide country of origin address
  • A letter confirming your enrolment at the University and your current address.  You can request this letter from the Student Centre when you are fully enrolled on your course.

The UK Council of International Students Affairs (UKCISA) provides useful information about things to take into consideration to open a bank account and a blog on student banking.

Compare Student Bank Accounts available here

Contact Info viewer


Related Links Viewer