How do I get support?


You don’t have to be registered as disabled to access our service, but before the University can support you, you will need to disclose your disability and provide evidence. 

You can do this before you start your course, for example through your UCAS application, or by contacting us directly. By disclosing your disability, you are taking a positive step to ensure that your support needs are fully met during your studies.

MyAccount banner

To book an appointment, you can use your MyAccount to arrange a phone, in-person or video call (Microsoft Teams) meeting. You can use your MyAccount to browse FAQs to common questions and ask us a question too!

MyAccount is something all students can access, you just need to use your student login. If you haven't used MyAccount before - and want to find out more about how to use the great features there - see this page about MyAccount.

When to register? The sooner the better!

Whether or not you declared a disability on your application form, you are encouraged to register with Disability and Dyslexia Support as early as possible if you have any support needs related to a disability. You can also let us know at any time during your studies.  

The university has deadlines for putting exam support in place, e.g. extra time or use of a computer. For this reason, it is important that you make contact with us as soon as possible, to ensure that support can be put in place when it’s needed.

If you declared a disability on your UCAS or other application form this information is entered into ours student records system – it is confidential, personal information and covered by the Data Protection Act. However you can’t rely on this first disclosure to alert your school to any adjustments you might need, which is why it’s important to contact Disability & Dyslexia Support to make an appointment with Disability Adviser. 

What if I choose not to disclose?

If you do not disclose a disability, DDS will not be able to make staff aware of your support needs and the University will be unable to make the appropriate reasonable adjustments. If you have any concerns about confidentiality or disclosure, a disability adviser will be happy to discuss this with you further.

Evidence for support arrangements

In order for support arrangements to be put in place you will need to provide evidence of your disability. If you are in the process of obtaining evidence, please read our guidance on the type of letter that is suitable for both the University and for external funding bodies (for example DSA).

If you’re not sure if your evidence is sufficient, please contact DDS as soon as possible and we will be able to advise you further.

Suitable evidence for a specific learning difficulty (for example dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia)

An educational psychologist’s report, diagnostic assessment, a report from a specialist teacher.

Suitable evidence for Attention Deficit (Hyperactivity) Disorders (ADD/ADHD), Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD)

A signed letter or report by a medical professional (such as a doctor, consultant, or clinical psychologist) that confirms the nature and impact of your condition on day to day activities.

Suitable evidence for other disabilities including medical conditions, vision loss, hard of hearing, physical disability, mental health problems

A recent signed letter, report or document from a medical professional (e.g. your doctor or consultant) that outlines the nature of your disability and how this affects your day to day activities

Evidence in translation

We know that it isn't always easy for international students to provide medical or other evidence in English, but in order for us to put support in place, all evidence must be translated into English by a qualified transcription service and formally authenticated. If you’re not sure about translating your medical evidence, please contact us for more information.

Guidelines for obtaining evidence for DSA

When you send your application for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) to your funding body, you will need to enclose evidence of your disability / dyslexia.

For dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties, the evidence should be a report dated after your 16th birthday and written by a chartered or practitioner psychologist or specialist teacher holding a current Assessment Practising Certificate.

However, from February 2019, students with an SpLD (such as dyslexia) will be able to provide a diagnostic assessment report in respect of an assessment undertaken at any age.

For other disabilities, medical conditions or mental health difficulties you will need a recent letter from a medical professional, such as a GP or hospital consultant.

The letter should be on headed paper, should be dated and signed, and should include:

  • What the condition is (diagnosis)
  • When it was first diagnosed
  • Whether it is likely to last for at least 12 months
  • Does any medication prescribed have side effects which may impact on learning
  • Any other information that you think might help assess appropriate support for the student
  • State the impact (or potential impact) on day-to-day activities/studies.

Contact Info viewer


Related Links Viewer